The House of Discernment!Posted on: January 13, 2020, by : admin
Who: Two Post-college Young Adults
When: August 2020 – May 2021
Where: Boulder, Colorado
What: What’s next? Maybe you’ve recently finished college or another transformative experience and you’re asking yourself this question. You’ve changed, but what do you do now?
The House of Discernment is a place you can come to figure out what to do next. Through a ten month residential program we help post-college young adults figure out the lives God is calling them to live.
What is God calling you to do? Jesus focused on telling people to do two things; “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind and Love your neighbor as yourself.” Our program helps you figure out what’s next by inviting you to shape your life around these two commandments.
- Love of Neighbor – You will serve a 35 hr/week internship for LCM-CU
- Love the Lord your God – You will be immersed in the worship life of the local community.
- Reflection – There will be regular intentional time and curriculum for reflection and processing.
Love of Neighbor
The House of Discernment Fellow will serve alongside the Campus Pastor and the Program Coordinator with Lutheran Campus Ministry at CU-Boulder. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Continue existing programming as well as designing and implementing new programs—for instance; Tuesday night programs, bible study, and service projects.
- Build and maintain supportive relationships with students.
- Maintain donor records and relationships.
- Ensure that Bread+Belonging/LCM-CU is a welcoming space for students and other members of the community.
- Meet weekly as a staff to plan, prepare, and reflect on our ministry programming and events.
- Tell the story of our ministry through newsletters and other publicity.
- Set up and clean up for Tuesday night dinners.
- Establish and maintain regular “outdoor” office hours.
- Develop and complete a ministry project in conjunction with the Campus Pastor and Program Coordinator.
Lutheran Campus Ministry’s primary work at CU-Boulder supports a community of students called, “Bread+Belonging” along with St. Aidan’s Episcopal Church. The life of the B+B community centers around a weekly Tuesday night meal and conversation. Through the weekly meal, retreats, small groups, spring break trips, and more LCM-CU helps students find their place in the world God has created.
Love the Lord
The House of Discernment Fellow will be immersed in the worship life of LCM-CU at Grace Lutheran Church. This includes:
- Regular attendance as articulated in the covenant developed by the Fellow, Staff, and the House of Discernment Support Team.
- Regular offering of worship gifts including but not limited to: reading, preaching, offering children’s sermons, assisting in worship, music, liturgical design, and art.
The House of Discernment Fellow will engage in regular, intentional periods of reflection with:
- The Campus Pastor will meet with the fellow weekly for approximately 45 minutes each week. These weekly sessions will provide the Fellow the opportunity to process their experience, consider feedback, and reflect on their vocational growth. These weekly supervisory sessions will be reviewed during the Fall and Spring Evaluation Meetings, and adjusted as necessary.
- The House of Discernment Support Team will meet with the Fellow monthly to provide support and the space to reflect communally on their experience.
- Faculty/Staff from Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary will provide opportunities and resources for reflection, theological insight, and practice.
- Timeline: 10 months; August 2020 through May 2021
- Compensation: LCM-CU will provide housing, which includes a private bedroom with shared kitchen, bath, and living space. LCM-CU will also provide a stipend of $1,000/month.
- Hours: The fellow will work an average of 35 hours per week.
- Supervisors: Zach Parris, Campus Pastor and Megan Sawyer, Program Coordinator
Please send letter of interest, resume, and references to Pastor Zach Parris at firstname.lastname@example.org.